The Alagappa University is located on about 420 acres in the business town of Karaikudi in Sivaganga District in Tamil Nadu, India about 400 km south of Chennai and about 100 km from Tiruchirappalli and Madurai. The University founded in 1985 owes its existence to its founder the great philanthropist and educationist Dr. RM.Alagappa Chettiar. It was brought into existence by a Special Act of the Government of Tamil Nadu in May 1985 with the objective of fostering research, development and dissemination of knowledge in various branches of learning.
Alagappa University is recognized by the University Grants Commission (U.G.C.), Government of India. It has 14 full-fledged departments offering regular Postgraduate, M.Phil. and Ph.D programs- (Education, Physical Education, Institute of Management, Bank Management, Corporate Secretaryship, International Business and Commerce, Tamil, Women’s Studies, Biotechnology, Computer Science and Engineering, Industrial Chemistry, Mathematics, Oceanography and Costal Area studies). The Directorate of Distance Education was established in the University in 1992. The Directorate offers Under Graduate, Post Graduate & M.Phil. Programs in the disciplines of Management, Computer Applications, Science, Education, Languages and Performing Arts.
Listed below are the various Alagappa educational institutions:
- The Alagappa College of Technology (1942) in Madras
- Alagappa College of Arts & Science (1947) in Karaikudi
- Dr. Alagappa Chettiar Training College (1950) in Karaikudi
- Dr. Alagappa Chettiar Training College Model High School (1951) in Karaikudi
- Alagappa Chettiar College of Engineering & Technology (1952) in Karaikudi
- Alagappa Montessori School (1953) in Karaikudi
- M. CT. M. Chidambaram Chettiar Memorial. Prep. School (1954)
- Alagappa Primary School (1954) in Karaikudi
- Alagappa Polytechnic (1955) in Karaikudi
- Alagappa Preparatory School (1955) in Karaikudi
- Alagappa School of Music (1956) in Karaikudi
- Alagappa College of Physical Education (1956) in Karaikudi